Last Updated on July 14, 2020 by The Soft Best
There are many types of software today, each with fairly original features and functions. Get to know them in-depth in this article. For those technology users who are unfamiliar with digital issues and want to understand software types in depth and be able to enter the universe of digital transformation, they are in the right place.
What Types of Software Are Exist
In this post, we will not only talk about the classification of software types in a flat and easy to grasp way, but we will also show examples of these types of computer tools so that your knowledge goes much further.
So when you hear terms like an operating system or markup language, you will no longer be speechless. Let us begin! Below are the types of software according to the objective it has within the computer system:
The application contains each and every one of those programs and utilities that derive from the software programming and that fulfill a specific task, in almost any area of daily life, that are used through mobile devices and computers. The applications are the end product offered to the consumer. But we wanted to start with this one because that way you will better understand the following ones.
Through logical knowledge and an object-oriented programming language, it is possible to design digital utilities to perform various functions, which we discussed in the previous point. These programs are the base where the code is written to develop new systems within an operating system.
We reach the base where the previous two are built. Among the types of software, the system software is the most important. It is who allows the user to use the interface of the operating system that comes built into the device.
This is made up of a set of native programs or applications that have two purposes:
- Manage physical resources of the device to coordinate tasks and manage memory for its use;
- And offer a user experience so that you can control and interact with the system.
In a simple way, we can say that the system software is who connects the applications with the hardware resources that the device has. Now, if you got this far, you already have a general idea of the types of software according to the level of use and responsibility they have within an operating system. But, to help you understand more deeply, using some examples might help.
Examples That Fit for Each Type of Software
To better illustrate, we will go contrary to the previous list.
Types of system software
- Program loader: part of the operating system that fulfills the function of sending information to the system memory to execute programs;
- Operating systems: a system that manages hardware resources and offers the possibility of launching applications to the user;
- Drivers: Driver programs that allow the operating system to interact between the hardware and the user interface to use the device;
- Diagnostic tools: they serve to monitor and control the functionality of the device’s physical resources;
- Servers: execution tools used to receive the user’s instructions and perform an action accordingly.
Types of Programming Software
- Text editors: they are used to create and manage digital files made up of text. They fulfill the function of reading the file and interpreting the bytes according to the editor’s code;
- Compiler: a kind of translator that builds the programming language to a program itself;
- Interpreter: basically it is a program that analyzes and transforms information about other programs;
- Linker: this takes the initial objects of the compilation process, discards the unnecessary ones and binds an open-source with the internal library and produces an executable file;
- Debuggers: program used to “clean” errors from other programs;
- IDE: Integrated Development Environments is an application that provides the developer with comprehensive services to facilitate software development.
Types of Application Software
- Office applications: they are all those computer utilities designed for office tasks to optimize, automate, and improve tasks in this activity;
- Databases: a collection of digital information in an organized way so that a specialist can access fragments at any time.
- Video games: electronic games where one or more people interact with video images through physical controls or body movements;
- Business software: it can be said that it is all that application that is created to optimize, automate or measure the productivity of any industry or company;
- Educational software: all those digital products that aim to teach a specific topic to the user at any level and facilitate the learning process;
- Management software: a system made up of various tools to be used in tasks related to the administration or numerical calculation.
These are the types of software according to their classification. However, there is another point that needs to be explained to understand how these products work commercially.
Types of the Software License
- Free software: applications available to be used, copied, modified and distributed by anyone;
- Copyleft: like free software, they can be used by anyone but not modified or redistributed;
- GPL: aimed at Linux and limits the distribution and integration of this software;
- Debian: free redistribution where the source code must be included and can be redistributed;
- BSD: Contains few restrictions on the use, alteration, and redistribution of software;
- Public domain: copyright-free software;
- Semi-free: it is not free, but other users can use it;
- Freeware: used for programs that can be redistributed but not modified;
- Commercial: developed by a company with the objective of generating profits;
- Trial: paid version distributed free of charge for a time.
There are other types of licenses, which contain specific elements but take others that are part of the aforementioned.
The types of software contain all those applications and computing resources that make it possible from the moment you read this post from a device or computer until you can apply automation in an industry and measure results immediately. As part of entering the technological world and digital transformation, this knowledge is essential to understand how and why computer systems work the way they do.
But, if you are still not satisfied with this reading and need to continue learning, our blog is full of valuable and interesting information that we are sure you will love. If you want to continue learning, know the characteristics of the Saas business model (Software as a Service). See you soon!