Best Mac to Android File Transfer Methods: Hey there, dear Mac owners! I know you need to share files between your Mac and Android devices, so you are here.
Imagine sending those hilarious cat videos or important work documents with just a few clicks.
Well, you’re in luck because we’ve got you covered with a comprehensive guide on Mac to Android file transfer method and how to do just that.
Here, we will take you through various file transfer methods. We’re talking about wired connections, wireless solutions, and everything in between!
Here are the key highlights of the article on transferring files between your Mac and Android devices:
- Use the Android File Transfer app for straightforward Mac-to-Android transfers.
- Discover wireless transfer options with AirDroid, including a direct Wi-Fi connection.
- Learn to transfer files via FTP using FileZilla, a convenient method for both Mac and Android.
- Share files effortlessly over the same Wi-Fi network using SMB sharing.
- Explore Google Nearby Share (NearDrop) for limited but functional file transfers on your Mac.
- Utilize HandShaker for wired connections, allowing quick and easy file copying.
- Experience wireless file sharing with SHAREit, supported on both Mac and Android.
- Set up FTP transfers with ES File Explorer for wireless, hassle-free file exchange.
8 Easy Mac to Android file transfer – How can I share!
So, How do I share files from Android to Mac wirelessly and also with wire! By the time you finish reading, you’ll be a file-sharing wizard equipped to move your stuff between your Mac and Android effortlessly.
1. Android File Transfer App
To transfer files between your Mac and Android using the Android File Transfer app, follow these simple steps:
- Download Android File Transfer: Go to android.com/filetransfer or search for “Android File Transfer” on Google. Download the software. If you encounter a security prompt, click “Allow” to proceed.
- Install Android File Transfer: Open the downloaded package and drag the Android File Transfer icon to your Applications folder to install it.
- Connect Your Phone: Plug your Android phone into your Mac using the USB cable that came with your phone. You might see a message prompting you to connect your phone.
- Check USB Preferences on Your Phone: On your Android phone, access USB preferences by going to Settings > Connected Devices > USB. Ensure that the option “File transfer” or “Android Auto” is selected.
- Access Phone’s File System: Once connected, the Android File Transfer app should open automatically, displaying your phone’s file system. You can access your pictures and other files from here.
- Transfer Files to Phone: To transfer files from your Mac to your Android phone, simply drag and drop the files from your Mac to the Android File Transfer window.
- Transfer Files to Mac: To transfer files from your Android phone to your Mac, open a Finder window on your Mac, navigate to the files you want to copy from your phone, and drag them to your Mac.
To transfer files between your Mac and Android using the AirDroid, follow these simple steps:
- Download AirDroid: Install the AirDroid app on your Android phone from the Google Play Store.
- Open AirDroid: Launch the AirDroid app on your phone.
- Skip Sign-Up: You can skip the sign-up process on AirDroid; it’s not necessary for basic file transfers.
- Allow File Access Permission: Grant the app permission to access your files when prompted.
- Choose Connection Method: Select “AirDroid Web” and connect via an IP address for a direct connection between your Mac and phone over Wi-Fi.
- Access AirDroid on Mac: On your Mac, open a web browser (like Safari) and type in the URL displayed in the AirDroid app.
- Accept Connection on Phone: Your phone will prompt you to accept the connection request.
- Transfer Files to Phone: In the AirDroid web interface, click on the “Files” icon on the left. Then, drag and drop files from your Mac to the desired folder on your phone.
- Download Files to Mac: To download files from your phone to your Mac, find the files you want on your phone, click “Download,” and the files will save to your Mac’s downloads folder.
3. FTP Transfer with FileZilla
To transfer files between your Mac and Android using FTP and FileZilla, follow these simple steps:
On Your Mac
- Download FileZilla: Get the free FileZilla FTP client for Mac.
- Install and Launch: Install FileZilla and open it.
- Connect to Android: Ensure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
Enter Android’s Address:
- Fill in your Android’s FTP server address in the “Host” field.
- Leave “Port” empty.
- Choose “FTP – File Transfer Protocol.”
- Log In: Use the FTP username and password created on your Android.
- Transfer Files: Drag and drop files from your Mac to your Android on the right side of FileZilla.
On Your Android
- Install Solid Explorer: Get the Solid Explorer app from the Play Store.
- Open and Set Up FTP:
- Tap the menu icon (three lines).
- Select “FTP Server.”
- Configure settings, create a username and password, then start the server.
- Note Server Address: Remember the server address displayed.
- Transfer Files from Android to Mac: Use FileZilla on your Mac to move files from your Android.
- Stop FTP Server: In Solid Explorer, tap “Stop” when you’re done.
4. CS File Explorer connected to same Wi-Fi network
This method is fast and efficient as long as both your Mac and Android are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Let’s get started:
Prepare the Connection
- Open your Mac’s System Settings.
- Select “General.”
- Look for the “Sharing” option and turn it on.
- Click on the information button (i icon) next to “Sharing.”
Choose Files to Share
- You can select a specific folder for sharing or choose to share your entire hard drive with your Android device.
- To share your entire hard drive, click on “Options.”
- Select “Share files and folders using the SMB option.”
- Enter your user account password and press Enter.
- Click “Done.”
Note Your IP Address
- Make a note of your Mac’s IP address; you’ll need it later.
- Close your System Settings.
Download File Explorer App on you phone
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Search for and download the “CS File Explorer” app.
- Allow the app to access and manage files on your device.
Configure the Connection
- Open the CS File Explorer app.
- Tap “Network” and then “New Location.”
Connect to Your Mac
- Select “Remote” and choose the “SMB” option.
- In the “Host” field, enter your Mac’s IP address.
- Enter the exact username and password of your Mac’s user account.
- Tap “OK.”
Access Your Mac’s Files
- You’ll now see your Mac’s hard drive on your Android device.
- Navigate to the desired location on your Mac’s hard drive.
From your Android device to your Mac:
- Find the file you want to transfer on your Android device.
- Select and copy the file.
- Navigate to your Mac’s folder where you want to paste the file.
- Paste the file in the desired location.
From your Mac to your Android device
- Find the file you want to transfer on your Mac.
- Copy the file.
- Navigate to your Android device’s folder where you want to paste the file.
- Paste the file in the desired location.
This method is convenient and doesn’t require any additional apps or cables.
5. Google Nearby and NearDrop
Although Google Nearby Share is not officially available on Mac, you can still use it with some limitations by following these simple steps:
- Open your web browser on your Mac.
- Go to the NearDrop GitHub page. You can find the link in the video description.
- Download the latest version of NearDrop from the GitHub page.
Install and Open NearDrop
- After downloading, open the NearDrop app.
- If you see a security message, don’t worry. Follow these steps to proceed:
- Go to your Mac’s system settings.
- Click on the “Privacy and Security” tab.
- Scroll down and click on “Open Anyway.”
- Type your admin password and hit the Enter key.
- Now, click on the “Open” button, and NearDrop is ready to use.
Ensure Both Devices Are on the Same Wi-Fi Network
Make sure your Android phone and Mac are connected to the same wireless network. This is essential for the file transfer to work.
Enable Notifications for NearDrop
- To receive transfer notifications on your Mac, you need to enable notifications for NearDrop. Here’s how:
- Go to your Mac’s system settings.
- Choose the “Notifications and Focus” tab.
- Search for “NearDrop” and allow notifications for it.
- On your Android phone, select the files or links you want to send.
- Use Google’s built-in Nearby feature to initiate the transfer.
- You should see your Mac (iMac) pop up on your Android device. Tap on your Mac’s icon to start the transfer.
- If you don’t receive a notification on your Mac, don’t worry. You can still access the transferred files from your notification center.
Please note that, you can only transfer files from your Android phone to your Mac using this method.
6. Wired Connection using HandShaker
- Visit the HandShaker website and download the app for your Mac.
- Install HandShaker on your Mac.
Connect Your Android Device:
- Connect your Android device to your Mac using a USB cable.
- HandShaker will install an app on your Android device.
- Once installed, launch the HandShaker app on your Mac.
- You should now see your Android device in the HandShaker app on your Mac.
- Easily copy and paste files between your Mac and Android device.
7. Share Files with SHAREit
To transfer files between your Mac and Android using SHAREit, follow these simple steps:
- Download and install the SHAREit app on both your Mac and Android device.
- On your Android device, tap “Send” to send files to your Mac or “Receive” to receive files.
- Tap “Connect to PC” and then “Scan to Connect.”
- Scan the QR code displayed on your Mac.
- You can now start transferring files wirelessly between your devices.
8. FTP Transfer with ES File Explorer
To transfer files between your Mac and Android using ES File Explorer, follow these simple steps:
Prepare Your Mac
- On your Mac, open the Terminal and enter the following command:
sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist
- Enter your Mac’s password when prompted.
Find Your Mac’s IP Address
- Press and hold the Option key on your Mac and click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar to find your Mac’s IP address.
Configure ES File Explorer
- On your Android device with ES File Explorer, tap the hamburger icon, go to FTP under network, and tap “New.”
- Fill in the FTP server details using your Mac’s IP address, username, and password.
- Tap “OK” to connect.
- You can now copy and paste files wirelessly between your Android device and Mac using ES File Explorer.
FAQ – People Also Ask
Is it safe to share my entire hard drive with my Android device?
Sharing your entire hard drive is safe as long as your Wi-Fi network is secure. Ensure you trust the network and have a strong Mac user account password.
What is FTP, and why should I transfer files between Mac and Android?
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, a standard network protocol used to transfer files between computers over a network. It’s a useful method for transferring files between a Mac and an Android device because it allows you to do so over a Wi-Fi network, avoiding the need for cables or external storage devices.
Are there any security concerns when using FTP to transfer files between my devices?
Yes, there can be security concerns with FTP. Disabling anonymous access on your Android device’s FTP server is recommended to prevent unauthorized access. Use a strong username and password combination to secure your FTP connection. If you’re concerned about security, consider exploring more secure file transfer methods, such as SFTP (Secure FTP) or cloud-based solutions.
What types of files can I transfer using these methods?
Using these methods, you can transfer a wide range of file types, including photos, videos, music, documents, and more. The supported file types may vary depending on the specific app you choose.
Is HandShaker available for Windows computers?
No, HandShaker is specifically designed for Mac computers. Windows users can explore alternative file transfer methods, such as third-party file transfer apps.
Can I transfer large files using AirDroid?
Yes, AirDroid supports the transfer of large files. The file transfer speed may depend on your Wi-Fi network’s quality.
Are there any file size limitations with SHAREit?
SHAREit is known for its ability to transfer large files quickly and doesn’t impose strict file size limitations. However, very large files may take more time to transfer
Are these methods free to use?
HandShaker and AirDroid offer free versions with limitations, while SHAREit is generally free to use. However, some of these apps may offer premium features or ad-free versions for a fee.
Is NearDrop safe to use on my Mac?
NearDrop is an open-source application available on GitHub. It’s generally safe to use, but download it from the official GitHub page to avoid any potential security risks.
Why do I need to enable notifications for NearDrop on my Mac?
Enabling notifications for NearDrop ensures that you receive pop-up notifications when files are being transferred from your Android phone to your Mac, making the process more user-friendly.
These methods offer convenient ways to transfer files between your Mac and Android device, whether you prefer wired or wireless connections. Choose the one that suits your needs best and simplify your file-sharing experience.
Credit: Beebom, Mz Learning, Techy Druid, Faculty of Apps